July 10, 2014

Almond Mayo


It's been a really busy two years ... and sadly, food blogging has had to take a back seat. But, as anyone who spends time in the front seat knows, those in the backseat make themselves known. When I make something yummy and inventive, I usually note to myself that I should put it on the blog. This afternoon I said it aloud (still to myself) and Joey cheerfully declared (not to himself) that if I can't blog in July, then I will never blog at all. He's right. So tonight I decided to add something to the blog.

Three reasons not to wait two years between posts:
  1. Picture issues: I used to be so diligent about taking pictures, uploading them and posting them. No more, my friends. I didn't even bring my camera on vacation this year. Uploading took an hour and I found that I had taken photos of eight other dishes in anticipation of someday blogging about them. One of them, taken last July, looks delicious, but I don't remember how I made it. 
  2. Logging back on to the blog may take a while due to not remembering URLs, passwords, etc.  - or your blog account may have been discontinued. This blog was created when I was still using Hotmail and now that Blogger is owned by Google, well, they don't really like that. But here I am, logged on with the Hotmail because I can't seem to get it switched over. 
  3. You may find yourself rambling about stuff no one cares about. Wait, isn't rambling about whatever you want the whole reason why people start blogs?! 
So tonight's blog post is inspired by artichokes. I decided to make grilled artichokes and I wanted to make homemade mayonnaise to go with them. I had made a soy mayo in the past, which is fine but I was actually thinking of making a more traditional recipe. I was flipping through my Whole Life Nutrition cookbook and found a recipe based on almonds. Dan the Egg Man was out of eggs today and I actually had almonds in my pantry. I might never make another mayo recipe again - I loved this one! And so did the boys and the people who came over for dinner. It probably isn't fair to call it mayonnaise; it doesn't taste like mayo at all to me. But I would use it in all the same instances (buggers, egg salad, artichokes, tomato and kale sandwiches) and be much, much happier. I called it artichoke dip at diner so as not to confuse anyone - I've found it works better to totally re-name something than call it but a known name if it's an alternative version.

Almond mayo is raw, packed with nutrients, soy-free, egg-free, and super easy.  SOLD! To the lady who doesn't have time to blog! Also, Joe Mac, our neighborhood farmer and foodist approves.

Makes 2 cups.
Store in a sealed glass jar and refrigerate up to three weeks.
  • 1 1/2 cup almonds*
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard 
  • 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil 
* I used whole almonds because I was using a Vitamix. If you have a regular blender, then chop up your almonds to help it along. 
  1. Combine almonds, water, vinegar, salt and mustard in blender. Blend until smooth. 
  2. With blender on low, slowly add your oil. Blend until well combined; mixture should thicken quickly. 

No comments: