August 22, 2012

Roasted Carrot Sandwiches with Carrot Top Pesto

The garden is bursting with amazing treats - this is my favorite time of year! I foresee about three weeks of diner fresh from the ground coming up and I'm so excited! The boys and I spent a few hours today playing in my dad's giant garden, pulling weeds, munching on peas and raspberries, and playing with the hose. It was magical. We were filthy and happy and tired by the end of today.

I made this sandwich on Sunday and it was super-duper delicious. While I want to make a big variety of dishes from our fresh veggies, I have a feeling that we'll end up making this sandwich several times with the baby carrots. Our carrots are baby carrots because we forgot to thin them out...so the carrot section is jam-packed with with little tiny treasures and there are a ton of greens. The kids think that they're especially for them. I am in heaven. So, while this sandwich requires more effort than PB&J, the payoff far exceeds the workload. We roasted our carrots for about 10 minutes so that they would still be crunchy - a perfect match with the creamy avocado and carrot top pesto.

Makes 4 sandwiches
Probably packs well in a lunchbox, but likely not overnight.


  • 8 slices of your favorite whole-grain bread (we used Dave's Killer Bread)
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 8 tablespoons carrot top pesto
  • 1 bunch carrots (about 20 mini carrots)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • Freshly ground sea salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Wash and trim your carrots. Slice them long ways into thing strips. Toss with olive oil and arrange on baking tray (I like to use foil on my trays to help with clean up and sticking). Season with salt and pepper. Bake/roast for about 10 minutes, until sizzling and beginning to brown. You want them to still be crunchy. 
  2. Meanwhile, make your carrot top pesto.
  3. Arrange peso, avocados, carrots on bread, cut into halves and serve. 

No comments: